ART FROM THE RECYCLING BIN
Free art materials are everywhere! This blog is dedicated to exploring and encouraging the use of found art materials. As an art therapist who works with children and their families, I am especially interested in the possibilities for incorporating creative play into everyday family life. Using materials we find around us can make the process fun, lively, personal, affordable, and environmentally responsible. So get out there and start collecting garbage!

8/7/11

Family Tree

A number of years ago, I had about a hundred pre-made paper mache masks to spray paint white in preparation for an art project at a family picnic at work.
When I finished, I realized that I actually had some new negative space canvasses to fool around with.  So I cut some of them up and played around with them.


Eventually, I did a more elaborate piece called Family Tree.  It's about all my mysterious ancestors whom I know nothing about, but whom undoubtedly had a lot to do with who I am today.  I thought the ghost-like images captured them perfectly.  Other than some random sequins and wires (holding up the shelf), the decorative elements are all natural, even though you might not recognize the twigs because I spray painted them red. Okay, I admit that I had to order a dozen blown-out quail eggs on eBay because regular chicken eggs were too big to fit in the nest.




No comments: